We encourage our Battier Scholars to make as much of a personal impact on our world as they can, on their college campuses, in their home communities, and beyond. They want to make the most of their education and explore the world around them, to best understand where they can ignite change. To empower our Scholars to pursue educational opportunities beyond their college campuses, we started the Battier Grant Initiative. Scholars can apply for additional financial support, beyond their scholarship award, to fund experiences that enhance their overall education. Grants have been awarded for:
- Study abroad programs in Cameroon, Spain, Hong Kong and more
- Tuition for additional semesters to earn a second or Graduate-level degree
- Summer courses and lab fees
- Career-focused international internships
- National Student Exchange opportunities
- Professional licensure preparation and fees
- …and much more!
College students and young adults are among those who have been hit hardest by the effects of the nationwide shutdowns resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic. For many, their college environment is their opportunity for stable access to food, safe housing, steady employment, and a sufficient working environment in which to complete college coursework. Since March, the Battier Take Charge Foundation has been actively working to provide support to our Scholars and help them through this incredibly challenging time. As college campuses closed, we provided financial, logistical and emotional support to help them overcome whatever challenges they are facing. Among the ways we have assisted:
- Facilitated 12-hours of online workshops, focusing on strategies for navigating difficult emotions and uncertainty
- Provided assistance purchasing groceries and other necessities
- Secured storage units and transportation for those handling temporary displacements
- Assisted with living expenses for Scholars whose campus jobs and other employment was interrupted
The Take Charge Team feels strongly about extending their relationships with their scholars, far beyond the financial support they are awarded as part of the program. Our Scholars Leadership Retreats were born from a desire to truly know our Scholars better, and have them know, and invest in, one another. The bonds that have formed through these Retreats are what we feel truly sets our program apart.
Scholars Retreats are hosted every other summer at the Battier’s lake home in Michigan, all Battier Scholars past and present are invited to attend. Through a blend of work and play, we challenge one another to learn about ourselves and grow in our personal and professional capabilities, in a genuine, authentic setting. These four-days weekends have become a signature element of our program, and the Scholars and Take Charge team can’t wait to gather for the experience again soon – hopefully in the Summer of 2021. Learn more here. (Link to retreat page?)